Sunday, January 5, 2020

New Year 2020

  • I've been taking art journal classes at my local scrapbook stores for the last year or two.  I don't think I've really finished a page.  It's been really fun, and love what the instructor shares with us.  But the pages were never really "mine". 
  • So I wanted to start a new art journal with my own designs.  This is my first of my own design.
  • I love this butterfly stamp set by The Ton.  And I felt it put my feelings about this past year into an image.  
  • In art,  this page shares my feeling of this past year and the new year.
2019 was a very mixed year.  Lots of happy things happened.  My husband and I retired.  We went on a "dream" trip to Alaska.  Our oldest son and his wife purchased their first home.
But we also had a few sad things happen.  Which overshadowed the happy.  Our younger son and his wife suffered a loss.  My mom, and my husband's dad both passed away.  All of these happened in the last quarter of the year. 

So this art journal layout is trying to represent my feelings about 2019 and moving into 2020.  I tried to do this by making the left side darker and moving to the lighter right side.

Both sides were created by blending distress inks.  Adding some texture with stencils.  Some splatters.  I also sprayed some shimmer spray on the right side to make 2020 "brighter".

The butterfly is from The Ton - a new stamp for me.  This was embossed with gold, and watercolored -- mostly with Altenew colors.  I added some shimmer to the flowers on the right side.


I'm putting this into the following challenges:

Simon Says Wednesday Challenge - Use something new

Always Fun Challenges - Use something new

As always, thanks for stopping by to take a look. 
And I hope you have a Happy and Healthy 2020!

6 comments:

  1. Wow, what a stunning journal spread! You have captured so much meaning in your pages portraying your memories of 2019 and wishes for 2020 beautifully 😁. The transition of colours from year to year is fabulous as is the pretty butterfly stamp! Thanks so much for joining us at Art Journal Journey the first design in your new journal - I love it! Wishing you all the best for 2020! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I love your page very much and you created a beautiful way to show 2019 going forward to the new 2020.
    Hugs Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very beautiful journal spread, which must mean so much to you. I hope the new year will bring you the wishes you hope for to make it a good one for you.
    Thank you for sharing your art and your new journal with us at Art Journal Journey.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I realize I'm incredibly late visiting, but I was blown away when I saw this. BLOWN AWAY. It is simply stunning. You definitely don't need art journal lessons. This is so beautiful, I am stumbling over the words to describe how I feel. The symbolism is incredible. The butterfly with its lovely 2019 side shows there were good times amid the sad, while the 2020 side opens up possibilities like these blooming flowers. Overall, this is an incredible entry, Carol. I genuinely hope to see more of your art at Art Journal Journey, because I am in love with this first entry. Thank you SO much for joining us there. Also, I am sorry to read about your losses, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful page and so so romantic!!! great idea.
    Have nice Day,
    Elke

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pages are stunning,love the textures,colours and that butterfly is just gorgeous.
    Thank you so much for joining us at More Mixed Media.

    ReplyDelete